Monday, August 31, 2009

Staying Connected - July









Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God, to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain
Be still, be still, be still my soul…


My friends, it has been really good to be home, but it has also proved to be quite a painful time. It wasn’t until Kappy voiced it in an e-mail that I realized it’s true – I am going through a mourning period. I have had to leave behind so much…and so many dear, dear people. It broke my heart that I wasn’t there to bid farewell to Justus when he went home. (I knew Justus from day one and was always encouraging him to go home.) I praise God that he finally made that decision, yet I was too far away to fully share in the joy. And if that weren’t enough, Enoch told me that Sserwada still yells out my name each day at the shelter. As Sserwada has become one of those dearest to my heart, the tears were not slow in coming when I got that information. And now it sounds as though he also wants to go home and I shan’t be able to celebrate with him either.

Oh God, you are still at work. You are changing hearts and lives. May your name be glorified!

Yet, even with that praise on my lips, the pain still sits in my heart. It is so hard not being there and being a part of their lives in the day to day. But I can pray for them, and I invite you to continue doing so also. And please, could you also be praying for me? I know many of you already are and that is a great encouragement to me. I am unsure how to navigate through this transition time…let alone this “new” world called Canada. Yet, as the 17th century hymn sings, “In every change He faithful will remain”, so I know I am in good hands. Thank you Jesus.

Let me share a few specific prayer requests:
- Justus. Even though this one has made the decision to return home, let’s pray that his heart will turn to God and that he will have a good future.
- Sserwada. Let’s pray for a sincere desire to return home and also a heart turned over to God. We can also be praying for healing to come to his heart and his body (fungal infections).
- David, Enoch, Joy, Jenapher, Margaret – the Uncles and Aunties. They are also in a transitional period in the wake of my departure. Let’s be praying for wisdom, strength, and love to accompany them each day as they serve God in working with the boys at the shelter. Please also pray for God’s continued blessing and provision for their families – rent, food, school fees, etc.
- Jim and Kappy – the wonderful missionaries I was honored to serve with. Let’s pray for continued passion, vision and health, and for God’s blessing on their ministry there. As well, their car has been awfully moody for months now, so I know they would appreciate all prayers concerning that. And also, in my leaving, please be praying for them as they transition.

Thank you once again for…well, for being you. One great thing about coming home has been seeing my friends again and basking in their company…although I still have a heap more people to connect with. I am truly blessed by you and how you joined me on my latest adventure. And I pray that you have also been blessed during the time of my Ugandan internship. I hope that the stories of God’s faithfulness and love have encouraged you, inspired you, or somehow brought you closer to his open arms. I love you all very much.

Upheld by his grace,
Erin Spring

(www.actionintl.org/spring --- erinrachelspring.blogspot.com)

** *Note: Although my overseas term is officially over, I am still raising the final funds. The needed amount sits at about $1000. If you are interested in helping financially, the information is below. Thank you.

To support financially:
~ Cheques are to be made out to “Action International Ministries” and mailed to: 3015A 21st St. NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7T1. My name cannot appear anywhere on the cheque. Instead, please enclose a separate note specifying it is for me.
~ Donations can also be made by credit card over the phone or debited monthly from your bank account or credit card. Simply call 403.204.1421 or 1.888.443.2221 (toll-free), and they will assist you.
~ Online donations are also possible. Go to
www.actionintl.org/spring for my page.

Photos: *Justus and his fantastic smile *Goodbye to Sserwada, aka- mukwano gwange (my friend) *Goodbye to Auntie Joy *Jim, Kappy and their pet giraffe J *With Tiffany at White Rock, BC

No comments: