Sunday, June 14, 2009

Staying Connected - May Belated

















Muli mutya my friends,

Coming to you now is my much-belated May update. I would like to sincerely apologize for its tardiness. As the tendonitis in my wrist was very bad last month, I decided it best to give it a bit of a break. Yet, in that time off of typing, I also allowed my mind and heart to rest. It pained me to think of my rapidly upcoming departure from Africa, and thus preferred the silence of denial. But as the deceptive safety of denial dissipated, I could see the benefit it would have been if I had resumed my blogging and kept in better contact with you all at home. I need you each by my side. Please do accept my apology. Can we fall into step beside one another again?

About my tendonitis then; the rest it received in May did do wonders for the pain. Regretfully, it has worsened once again as there is typing and writing that really cannot be put off any longer. Despite the discouragement this has brought, God has been so gracious.

Now let me tell you some of what went on in May. The month began with company. I was so excited to welcome my friend Philip to Uganda and to share my African world with him. He spent a few days in Kampala with me, meeting many of those I have come to love dearly. He was even here to help me celebrate my birthday with the boys at the shelter. All in all it was a great time! Below is a bit of what he thought of his visit:

Hey everyone,
I am Erin's friend Philip.

Last month I had the pleasure of visiting Erin in Kampala at the tail end of my trip to Uganda.This was my first trip to Africa and I had no idea what to expect. Kampala is a bustling city with people everywhere. However, with a short ride on a boda-boda (motorbike taxi) you can see both ramshackle slums of barely constructed buildings and fancy, well-architected malls with all the amenities.

One clarification though. I've always acquainted the word "slum" with its near-homonym "slime." I think of rain pouring over tin-roof and wall-less shacks crammed along cramped and filthy streets run on by barefooted children. While this can be the case, the areas I visited had brick buildings with doors. The neighborhoods have a semblance of order and structure. There is a definite way of life even in a slum.

I was with Erin Saturday through Tuesday, and on Sunday morning we went with Pastor Jim to a "slum church" where he was to speak. As warned, Erin and I both were asked to get up and give a greeting. What I wasn't expecting was the request to talk to the Sunday school class! The kids were great though as I talked for a couple minutes about one of my favorite verses.

On both Monday and Tuesday I went with Erin to the street boys shelter she works at. It was so much fun to be able to actually experience first-hand all she's been sharing with us through her newsletters over the past several months. I've now met and talked with so many of the boys she talks about!

These kids are there of their own will. They don't have to be there. It's the love of the people there that keeps them coming back. The boys are fed, taught, and kept safe during their time at the shelter. God is using Erin and the rest of the staff to change their lives. You can see it in how they respected me, a white man they'd never met, as I shared with them. This was love and respect shown because of the love and respect of the others who love on them week in and week out.

I was honored to be able to have the opportunity to be a part of their lives, even for only two days. Perhaps some of what I talked to them about as I led Bible studies will stick with them as they work to better their lives.

Thanks for taking the time to read the story of my time visiting our dear friend Erin!

- Philip

Soon after Philip left, we had a one-day Kids Camp in a village in Lwero. At first we were expecting 500 children and then the number rose to 800. But at the end of the day we estimate that over 1000 kids came out. The children heard the gospel message and were encouraged to trust Jesus and to bring their parents to church. And of course, we also served up some fantastic Ugandan fare. The day was long and tiring, but it was exciting to see God work out every problem that came up throughout the day. Driving home, exhausted and dirty, we were all full of joy at how God has orchestrated the day and brought his Word to the children. I felt so blessed to have been part of this event as God’s pleasure with it was so evident.

May also found me visiting the Remand Home (youth prison) for the first time. I was relieved to not see any familiar faces, but at the same time my heart was saddened to see some as young as 12 there in the green uniform. But just as there are differing reasons for our boys to come to living on the streets, I leant that the boys and girls at this youth prison also come under differing circumstances. Some are there because of their crimes, but I learnt that there are others who have been taken there by their own parents. These parents hope that the rigid rules and discipline at the Remand Home will break the stubborn hearts of their children so they can return home and live in peace with the family. Still some there are orphans or are there unbeknownst to their parents, making the release of these even more unlikely. We know that our 1 hour Bible time is a welcome distraction from their troubled thoughts, but please be praying that the ministry there would see many turn to Jesus and the hope he offers. And especially be praying for David and Enoch as they are the ones that serve there each Friday.
I also want to give a little update on how Geoffrey is doing. We are excited that Tigers Club accepted him into their program so that he could gain some job training, but unfortunately Geoffrey is having trouble being patient and following the rules that Tigers has set up. My prayer is that he doesn’t mess up this chance. As I regularly bring this precious young man before God’s throne, won’t you please keep him in your prayers also. May God’s will be done!
And won’t you also join me in praying for Ramos (see picture below). Ramos is one of the most talented 15 year-old boys I have ever met. After only two days of simple guitar instruction from Enoch, he was figuring out chords on his own and playing wonderfully. His English, skill at drawing and general knowledge amazes me also. He knows he is wasting his talents while living on the streets, but like so many others, he is opting to remain there until he gets his “chance”. And the “chance” that he is hoping for is to go back to school, but also to one day play professional football. Just last week he connected with a team here in Kampala that he hopes he can play for although he doesn’t have money to pay the monthly fees. I have been praying for God’s will in this situation, but more than that, I pray that the Holy Spirit would touch Ramos’ heart and bring cause his faith in Jesus to grow and produce much good fruit.

I have so much more burning in my heart to share with you all, but I fear this letter has already been too long. My first June update will follow shortly so that I can tell you about how Mommy keeps getting cuter every day and about the other wonderful happenings at the shelter. God has been so faithful!

And his faithfulness has even overflowed onto the situation of my finances. The remaining amount is just under $1500. I want to thank those of you who have sent money, whether once or multiple times, out of your little or your much. And although I have sent in some of the needed funds myself, there is such joy in being able to share the ministry with you in this way. I am reminded by Paul’s words to the Philippians when he said he was “looking for what may be credited to [their] account” (4:17). We are storing up those heavenly treasures together.

Thanks, dear friends, for sticking with me even through May’s silence. It is now just over four weeks until many of you can have a face-to-face update. Time is sure running!!

Mukama abakume – the Lord keep you.

Be blessed,
Erin Spring (www.actionintl.org/spring --- erinrachelspring.blogspot.com)
Mailing Address: c/o Robinette, PO Box 71249 Clock Tower, Kampala Uganda, East Africa

To support financially:
~ Cheques are to be made out to “Action International Ministries” and mailed to: 3015A 21st St. NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7T1. My name cannot appear anywhere on the cheque. Instead, please enclose a separate note specifying it is for me.
~ Donations can also be made by credit card over the phone or debited monthly from your bank account or credit card. Simply call 403.204.1421 or 1.888.443.2221 (toll-free), and they will assist you.
~ Online donations are also possible. Go to
www.actionintl.org/spring for my page.

Photos: Philip with Mikey and Wilson, Birthday cake, Lwero x 3, With Ramos and Geoffrey

No comments: